All 6 art Reviews

Skygoats Skygoats

Gas giant?

Are these supposed to be some huge Jovian-dwelling gasbag creatures? Something to provide a sense of scale would be nice. Also the blur seems to be a little strong-- is that supposed to be due to depth-of-field? Other than those two things, very cool.

brettamatowski responds:

They are just...skygoats. Honestly, I have no idea. Haha I was just practicing clouds really. :)

The Rescue The Rescue

I tried to find a reason to give this a 9...

But I couldn't bring myself to do it. This is just too cool. This is what impressionism is all about... it's very evocative and atmospheric, as others have said. The only changes I could possibly suggest are entirely personal preference, so it wouldn't be fair to dock you on that. That being said, this already awesome piece could possibly be more appealing to me personally if the following were done:
-Slightly wider color pallet. The sepia-tone-ish look is cool in its own right, almost reminds me of Korriban from KOTOR 1, but this seems almost hopeful and warrants subtle addition of hues to the sky, the ships, and perhaps the monks.
-Speaking of which, the monks could stand out more, either by adding subtle coloring, or making them more exposed or maybe standing in a beam of sunlight filtering through holes in the overhanging wrecks.
-Texture. This is damn good, and I would guess excruciating realism is not your goal anyways. But, adding texture to the rocks and ruins and ships would make the give the picture depth and make it pop-out a little more.

If you decide to update this later, I would be eager to see it, whether or not you take my very subjective advice.

keepwalking responds:

Thanks a lot for your review, it is verry supportive!

Sunglasses. Sunglasses.

atmospheric

I wish I could better describe my reaction. At any rate, this is pretty awesome. Took me a second to realize the backdrop was a skyscape and not just a mottled green surface. The only thing I might suggest is maybe a little more in the backdrop for context (e.g. city skyline). I was hoping to see more in the same vein as your superstition piece though.

ghlow responds:

The superstition sort of painterly style tend to be my default style, but I chose to do the concentration this way because it's more design-oriented and more print-type illustration. There will definitely be more painterly works intermittently or after the conclusion of this series. :D

Future earth Future earth

Eerie

I like the shading on the clouds, but somehow it seems claustrophobic... if that makes any sense.

DarkSword responds:

I think I can understand, it does make some sense. I think it has something to do with the perspective beeing a bit too exploded on the vertical.. I wanted to model a quick frame in 3D to get more solid perspective but didn't.. = p (too lazy!)

thanks for your comment : )

Solus- Wings of an Angel Solus- Wings of an Angel

Seriously awesome

Seems minimalistic in a way, which I've always liked. I gotta look into getting this program.

Shark School Shark School

Badass

I'd like to see the other illustrations you mentioned regardless.

redminus responds: